OAC KENYA VISITS COMPASSIONATE HANDS FOR THE DISABLED FOUNDATION
About Compassionate Hands for the Disabled Foundation
- To promote competencies such as critical thinking, imagining future scenarios and making decisions in a collaborative way.
- To help the participants with life skills tools.
- To enhance disabled children’s communication skills through art.
- To teach ESD skills to educators and caregivers.
- To show the kids some love by spending time, resources and donations to them.
- To increase access to inclusive education for all.
Comments from Volunteers
Agatha exclaimed that the visit was a great learning experience; and that it made her appreciate life and everyone around her and taught her that disability is not inability. Chebet thought that being a part of the event shows that there’s still good in the world. She said there were selfless people willing to make an impact that will go a long way in nurturing African children who have a big role in shaping Africa’s tomorrow. Shivisi concluded that from his interaction with those wonderful kids and having engaged them in his lessons, that it was crystal clear that no two children look alike. He emphasized that this has strengthened his belief in getting the best out of every learner, and to help every child reach full potential. He talked of every child needing an individualized education plan, and that educators needed to give attention to every bit of detail about every learner. On her side, Makena commented that every day was a learning day for her and that she had learnt never to take anything for granted. She was amazed by the skills unexploited yet possessed by some of the kids, whom she described as being abled differently. Lindah was amazed by the work volunteers did, and vowed to stay committed and engage in the coming projects. Ng’etich appreciated the team for the good work, Bonny thanked the leadership, while Nyash was glad the team had put a smile on the kids’ faces. Jeffrey agreed with the volunteers’ experience, citing that every child was unique and had the best to offer